Sunday, 13 June 2010

Wooton Rivers To Crofton

Travelled to the summit and through Bruce tunnel, all locks are now downhill back to Reading. Moored early at Crofton and visited the pumping station, which houses two Cornish beam engines, the oldest dating from 1812. The two engines can lift two tons of water to the summit at every stroke, until 1959 when they were replaced with first a diesel pump and then an electric one.  Unfortunately we missed it in steam, but it was still well worth a visit. From there we did a circular walk, part of an old Roman Road and around Wilton Reservoir passing Wilton Windmill.

 016 (2)

Crofton Pumping Station




A view from the pumping station, just catching the passing train.


Wilton village duck pond

No comments: